Monday 11 August 2014

Chapter 11, Standing up for yourself



This post isn't as serious as it sounds but I really want people to start realising it is worth it to stand up for what you believe and who you are. Not in a way that is bitchy and nasty, but you still need to some how get across 'this is how I feel, I am letting you know and I want something done about it'. 

I recently found out that, to finish my apprenticeship, I needed to do a whole new exam for my ICT and for my maths. This is because the apprenticeship body, for some crazy bloody reason, doesn't accept GSCE ICT or Math Additional (higher) paper. Now I got top grades for ICT and for the maths I got a D in the normal paper BUT a good grade in the higher paper. Now surely that counts right? Nope they don't accept additional papers even though I did better at the harder paper than the easier one... surely that shows something? Surely that shows the education system that maybe, just maybe, some things aren't hard enough for us any more? The bad grades aren't necessarily about someone not being clever or being lazy, it's actually just pure boredom. If something bores you, not matter how good you are at it, you're not going to put much effort into it. I certainly don't.
ANYWAY so I voiced my opinion to the body, thinking that I was probably one of the few apprentices that bothered trying to get them to listen. And guess what? Today i received an email explaining that it worked. They've decided to accept my Maths Additional paper but not my ICT. Now this is a huge step in my opinion, alright I still have to do one of the exams but having a proper qualification in ICT sounds like a good idea to me.


Getting people to listen to you is a huge problem in this world; when you finally get to have your say and have people take in what you're saying it is such a good feeling. So this whole thing has taught me that standing up for yourself is really important. Although the exam wasn't a huge problem in my life, it certainly wasn't something I felt I needed to do.
And many people will know, if I don't want to do something, I won't. Now this can be a huge problem in some cases, but it is simply about learning what you genuinely do not need to do.
And if you feel you're right about what you want to do and don't need to do, voice it and stick by it. Don't get upset if it goes wrong.
Remember standing up for yourself can come with consequences, but they aren't the problem it's being able to deal with them that is. When I quit college, no one was happy with me and I had to deal with that. I had to deal with the pain of finding a job and being alone quite often, watching everyone live their lives while I sat at home getting fat and lazy. But I stuck at it. I knew that I wasn't meant to be at college, I stood up for how I felt and now because of that I can use a tattoo machine (though be it not well), I've learnt a lot of life lessons and I now have the perfect job, boyfriend, nearly the perfect mind set and I'm closer to the life I want. Closer than I feel I would have been if I had spent several years at college and uni.

SO anyway i will stop babbling now and start thinking of a more fun blog to write for tomorrow c: Maybe some kind of review and then on Friday you might be able to enjoy my favourite moments of this month so far c:

I hope you feel better about standing up for your self, because unless your a murderous twat, what harm does it really do to let people know this is you and they have to deal with it? 
Exactly. None. 
Go be you <3


No comments:

Post a Comment